Project Engineer - Materials and Fuels Complex (MFC)
Company: Battelle Energy Alliance
Location: Idaho Falls
Posted on: November 15, 2020
ORGANIZATION: Materials and Fuels Complex (MFC)
WORK LOCATION: Idaho Falls, ID (MFC Site, 4x10 Schedule)
Do you want to be part of enabling nuclear energy research and
development that includes deployment of next generation nuclear
reactors? Join us! The Materials and Fuels Complex (MFC) at the
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is seeking a Project Engineer to
support ongoing and future capital asset projects.
INL is recognized as the lead national laboratory for the United
States Department of Energy, Office of Nuclear Energy, providing
much of the nuclear research, development, and demonstration
capability needed to move nuclear innovation forward to
MFC hosts a unique combination of personnel, facilities and
infrastructure and offers the ability to perform research and
development of nuclear fuels from fuel design, development and
fabrication, and post irradiation analysis. MFC plays a pivotal
role in supporting the National Reactor Innovation Center, which
provides resources for testing, demonstration, and performance
assessment to accelerate the deployment of new, advanced nuclear
In this role, you will serve as a technical coordinator/expert for
emerging projects of high risk and significance and will support
highly complex technical activities related to strategic
development, organizational policies, programs, capabilities,
goals, and objectives in support of the MFC mission.
Key functions of the role include:
* Provide leadership and direction for technical assignments on
complex projects to ensure delivery of engineering products and
services, from concept formulation through construction and
turnover to operations.
* Lead and manage technical tasks utilizing company standards and
processes while adhering to performance metrics for cost and
* Plans and implements assigned technical/engineering work packages
and activities to include development of the scope of work to
accomplish engineering and other technical solutions, development
of technical, cost and schedule baseline information, negotiating
work with subcontractors and/or internal INL resources, managing
engineering resource performance, technical decision making,
reporting, and, identifying corrective actions and solutions.
* As part of a project team, works closely with project management,
procurement, and functional organizations and outside vendors to
obtain desired outcomes.
* Working closely with facility engineering, leads development of
Functional and Operational Requirements and Technical and
Functional Requirements as projects mature through the design
* Supports development of project concepts to satisfy evolving
mission needs and objectives.
* Leads development of design specifications based on design
requirements, customer requirements and standards, and established
* Leads all aspects of engineering design, including establishment
of design teams, development of conceptual, preliminary, and final
designs, and, conduct of formal design reviews.
* Leads design changes and configuration management efforts through
construction and turnover to facility operations.
* Oversees and manages requests for information during design and
construction, construction field changes, and review and approval
of vendor data during construction.
* Works closely with quality assurance to define inspection
requirements and develop and implement inspection plans.
* Maintains product and company reputation by complying with
federal and state regulations.
* Analyzes risks and manages work consistent with INL s Earned
Value Management System (EVMS) process, systems, and tools (as
* Provides technical direction and enhances the technical and
professional skills through directing, mentoring and training of
other project staff.
* Acts in a liaison capacity with other organizations (internal and
* Responsible for the application of engineering principles for
facility, product or process modifications.
* Engineering degree with significant Construction / Project
Engineer responsibilities. Preference for Civil Engineering,
Structural Engineering or Mechanical Engineering degree
* BS with 10-14 years experience
* MS and 8-12 years of experience
* Proven successful track record in managing multiple, highly
technical project and technical work scopes from design through
construction and turnover to operations
* Experience leading and coordinating multi-discipline design teams
(mechanical, electrical, civil/structural).
* Working technical knowledge of project management and project
control activities preferred
* Demonstrated experience managing facility/system designs of
various sizes and complexity from initial concept through
construction and turnover.
* Must hold a current professional engineering/structural
engineering license or possess ability to obtain within 2 years of
* Considerable oral and written communication and problem-solving
* Extensive/strong knowledge of applicable codes, policies,
standards, and best practices.
* Familiarity with requirements of DOE Orders, Standards, Guides,
and Handbooks, including but not limited to:
* DOE O 420.1C Facility Safety,
* DOE-STD 1020, Natural Phenomena Hazards Design and Evaluation
Criteria for Department of Energy Facilities,
* DOE-STD-1027, Hazard Categorization of DOE Nuclear
* DOE-STD-1066, Fire Protection,
* DOE HDBK-1169, Nuclear Air Cleaning,
* DOE-STD-1189, "Integration of Safety into Design
* Must be a US Citizen and have the ability and willingness to
obtain and maintain a DOE "Q" clearance
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory
dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy s mission in
nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more
than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the
laboratory works with national and international governments,
universities and industry partners to discover new science and
development technologies that underpin the nation s nuclear and
renewable energy, national security, and environmental
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative
nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical
Our vision is to change the world s energy future and secure our
nation s critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31,
1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS).
For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity
(EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment
opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic
information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all
questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide
a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust
relocation package, and phenomenal benefits. For more information,
please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview/. .
Keywords: Battelle Energy Alliance, Idaho Falls , Project Engineer - Materials and Fuels Complex (MFC), Engineering , Idaho Falls, Idaho
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!