Materials Engineer/Scientist High Temperature/Extreme Environment Materials
Company: Battelle Energy Alliance
Location: Idaho Falls
Posted on: May 3, 2021
DescriptionIdaho National Lab (INL) will change the world's
energy future and secure our infrastructure! Join us - innovate the
INL's Materials Science and Engineering (MSE) Department is seeking
applicants for an experienced Research & Design Scientist at the
Ph.D level and will have the opportunity to build and conduct
materials research and development work using state-of-the-art
experimental and/or analytical techniques, with emphasis on
programs dealing with structural materials in advanced energy
The researcher will participate in preparing proposals for funded
work, journal articles, presentations, and program required reports
describing the work. The work will involve interfaces within the
laboratory and with domestic peers to carryout cooperative programs
for structural materials discovery and characterization in advanced
energy generation systems and participation in standards
development. The position is also responsible for contributing to
development and strengthening of business opportunities for the
Energy and Environmental Science and Technology (EES&T)
Directorate in energy, materials, and manufacturing. The position
will require participation in the development of proposals for
research and business opportunities.
Roles and responsibilities for this position include:
- Demonstrate capability for initiating research
- Develop new characterization and materials
development/manufacturing facilities and capabilities.
- Build and lead effective teams and enhance the technical and
professional skills of junior staff through mentoring and
- Coordinate and supervise the work of others.
- Identify and build synergetic intra- and inter-directorate
(within-INL) as well as external collaborations especially with the
goal of developing and initiation new materials based projects and
- Identify and coordinate synergetic collaborations between
modeling and experimental activities crucial to partners external
and internal to INL.
- Direct and contribute to the completion of landmarks on
projects and objectives.
- A leader in goal setting, planning, and overall direction,
including the preparation of proposals and business development
Minimum Job Requirements:
- PhD in Materials Science, Materials Engineering, or a similar
field and 2 years' related experience.
- Established reputation and relationships with national and
international researchers in materials related working, including
development and characterization.
- A track record for identifying synergetic collaborations
between experimental and modeling activities within, and external,
to organizations where researcher has previously (or currently)
- Consistent track record of meeting the technical goals of
partners internal and external to organizations where the
researcher has previously or currently worked.
- Demonstrated experience building and leading effective teams
and enhancing the technical and professional skills of junior and
experienced staff through active mentoring and training.
- Established record for serving as the lead in technical
decision-making and direction at the medium to large-scale project
- Strong background and an established record of high quality
research in structural materials. Strong research background in
functional materials is a plus.
- History of conceiving and developing multi-disciplinary
research projects on structure/property relationships of
- Demonstrated record of effective teamwork.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively across organizational
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal, oral and written
- Record of commitment to safe and environmentally sound
- A record of achievement through reports, publications,
intellectual property, or technical products.
- Proven record of leading multi-disciplinary technical projects
and teams to success.
- Familiarity with National Laboratory programs.
- Experience in structure/property characterization of materials,
including development of new materials, neutron irradiation
effects, physical metallurgy, and materials characterization
- Salary Grade: 220/230
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected
candidate will be placed at the level based on depth and breadth of
validated experience and skills.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory
dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in
nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more
than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the
laboratory works with national and international governments,
universities and industry partners to discover new science and
development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and
renewable energy, national security, and environmental
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative
nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our
nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31,
1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS).
For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity
(EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment
opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic
information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all
questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide
a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust
relocation package, and phenomenal benefits. For more information,
please visit: .
FallsJob:EngineeringOrganization:Energy & Environment Science &
Technology (Bxxx)Schedule:Full-timeEmployee Status:RegularJob
Posting:Mar 30, 2021, 9:09:08 PMUnposting Date:Ongoing
Keywords: Battelle Energy Alliance, Idaho Falls , Materials Engineer/Scientist High Temperature/Extreme Environment Materials, Engineering , Idaho Falls, Idaho
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!