Irradiation Experiment Thermal Hydraulics Department Manager
Company: Battelle Energy Alliance
Location: Idaho Falls
Posted on: November 12, 2020
ORGANIZATION: Nuclear Science & Technology (NS&T)
WORK LOCATION: Idaho Falls, ID (9x80 schedule)
The Irradiation Experiment Thermal Hydraulics Analysis (IETHDA)
Department within the Reactor Systems Design and Analysis Division
(RSD&A) is seeking an Irradiation Experiment Thermal Hydraulics
Analysis Department Manager to perform complex, innovative and
unique thermal-fluids-structural analyses and safety calculations
that enable research, design and development (RD&D) of
experiments either irradiated in nuclear research reactors or
conducted in nuclear facilities. The department staff works closely
with staff from the Nuclear Science and Technology (NS&T)
Directorate as well as staff from nuclear facilities across the
Laboratory, specifically staff from the Advanced Test Reactor
(ATR), Transient Reactor Test (TREAT) Facility and Hot Fuel
Examination Facility (HFEF).
The department staff activities include working on multiple
engineering design project teams, applying complex modeling and
simulation methods, using finite element (FE), computational fluid
dynamics (CFD) and multi-physics codes, data analysis and
visualization, verification and validation, serving on engineering
design review boards, writing formal engineering calculation
reports, presenting and defending methods, assumptions,
calculations, analysis results, conclusions and recommendations.
The manager is a leader in the RSD&A division and will be
responsible for the overall human capital management of the
* Create a culture of technical excellence, collaboration,
inclusion, and diversity with focus toward professional
* Assure analysis deliverables meet nuclear quality assurance,
NQA-1 requirements for nuclear safety basis application.
* Build a strong supportive peer group promoting a questioning
attitude and a strong safety culture.
* Assign staff and coordinate their work in support of Laboratory
goals and objectives.
* Ensure training, qualification, and overall competence of
* Oversee, mentor and guide professional development of staff.
* Recruit, hire and retain highly skilled staff.
* Develop and increase department work portfolio.
* Review department deliverables for quality, policy and procedure
compliance, justification of assumptions, conclusions and soundness
* Act as thermal-hydraulics analysis technical authority for INL
irradiation experiments, review, contribute to, and concur with
engineering requirements documents, observe, comment on and concur
with engineering design reviews, review, comment and approve
analysis calculations and evaluation documents.
* Evaluate department work processes, lead and develop guidance to
implement process improvement and efficiencies.
* Encourage research accomplishments (e.g., LDRD proposals) and
promote publication of results.
* Identify and benchmark innovative approaches to analysis from
comparable technical fields.
* Manage allocated department overhead funds, track and ensure
* Conduct staff performance reviews.
* Verify/approve day-to-day activities such as time sheet
certification, use of charge numbers, travel authorizations,
equipment purchases, expense reimbursements, non-standard software
use, training, personal leave and work assignments.
* Represent the Department, the Division, the Directorate and the
Laboratory as a leader in nuclear technology
* Coordinate with NS&T departments, other directorates and user
facilities to provide integration of work across programs and the
* Collaborate with user facilities, programs and customers to
improve integrated processes.
* Degree in Mechanical Engineering or closely related discipline
with commensurate experience in the nuclear enterprise:
* BS and 12 years of experience
* MS and 8 years of experience
* PhD and 6 years of experience
* Must be able to work in a culturally diverse environment.
* 5 years of experience within nuclear experiment R&D.
* Evidence of increasing leadership or management experience
demonstrating effective skills in recruiting, developing and
* Experience performing or managing analysis work on nuclear
* Knowledge of finite element, computational fluid dynamics,
multi-physics and nuclear systems software (e.g., ABAQUS, Star-CCM
, COMSOL, RELAP5).
* Experience performing work to meet NQA-1 requirements and
* Experience using nuclear safety basis/design safety analysis
* Ability to clearly describe complex experiment designs and
analyses and develop persuasive arguments to defend analysis.
* Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal
* Specific experience with ATR experiment design, ATR Safety
Analysis Report (SAR) and Technical Specification Requirements
(TSR) is advantageous.
* Specific experience with TREAT experiment design, TREAT SAR and
TSR is advantageous.
* Specific experience with software quality assurance (SQA) is
* Knowledge of engineering practices and tools (e.g., 3-dimensional
modeling, engineering analysis, and design software) is
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory
dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy s mission in
nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more
than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the
laboratory works with national and international governments,
universities and industry partners to discover new science and
development technologies that underpin the nation s nuclear and
renewable energy, national security, and environmental
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative
nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical
Our vision is to change the world s energy future and secure our
nation s critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31,
1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS).
For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity
(EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment
opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic
information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all
questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide
a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for
INL embraces and values the diversity of each and every member of
our workplace community. Our community members bring together a
vast array of characteristics, experiences, and attributes that
cumulatively support creative and novel science and engineering
solutions. INL as a work-community, provide everyone equal access,
inclusion, and opportunity to bring their authentic selves to work.
While engaging in diversity of thought and in diversity of science
and engineering, we strive together to achieve our mission to
discover, demonstrate, and secure innovative nuclear energy
solutions, other low-carbon energy options, and critical
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust
relocation package, and phenomenal benefits. For more information,
please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview/. .
Keywords: Battelle Energy Alliance, Idaho Falls , Irradiation Experiment Thermal Hydraulics Department Manager, Executive , Idaho Falls, Idaho
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!