Wireless Engineer (Junior)
Company: Battelle Energy Alliance
Location: Idaho Falls
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Does a career focused on changing the world's energy future
intrigue you? If so, we might have just the opportunity you're
Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Spectrum Innovation Department
under the Critical Infrastructure Security and Resilience (CISR)
Division of the National & Homeland Security (N&HS) Directorate
is seeking forward-thinking, professionals interested in exploring
a technical career as a Wireless Engineer.
As a wireless communication staff engineer, you will conduct
research, development, demonstration and deployment (RD&DD).
You will provide radio frequency (RF) wireless communication
solutions for a range of wireless communication systems including
high frequency (HF), very-high frequency (VHF), ultra-high
frequency (UHF), millimeter-waves and other radio frequencies
utilizing INL owned intellectual property portfolio. Assignments
may extend into collaborative research with autonomous systems,
process control, supervisory control and data acquisition (SCADA),
and cyber for programs supporting various US Government
- Develop and review statement of work (SOW) and work for others'
proposals within INL's strategic partnership program (SPP)
- Engage with internal and external organizations to develop new
R&D capabilities and products.
- Ensure work is performed in a safe, secure, cost-effective, and
compliant manner, consistent with the INL mission, vision, values,
policies, and procedures and within defined cost, scope, and
- Set individual performance goals and provides feedback to staff
on performance in accordance with INL/BEA guidelines. Anticipates
change and adjusts promptly and effectively.
- Additional tasks and assignments will be given to the employee
by the Department Manager, Principal Investigator, Technical
Program Manager and Project Leads for assigned programs throughout
- Bachelor's degree and 0-2 years experience, or Master's degree
and 1 year experience, or PhD.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and be able to obtain and maintain DOE
The candidate is expected to have a working knowledge of these
- Systems requirements definition procedures, process, and best
- Derived Requirements Flow down to sub systems.
- RF system modeling and definition.
- RF board design, development, bring-up and debugging
- Experience working with a cross discipline team (Software, HW,
FPGA, RF Etc).
- Experience working with and managing RF technicians
- Understanding of RF concepts and ability to use RF lab
- Experience and understanding of antenna theory
- Experience designing for, and working with systems across
multiple RF bands (HF to millimeter wave)
- Familiarity with antennas across multiple RF bands
The ideal candidate would have these traits:
- Experience comparing actual test results with theoretical
results and determining what was different or went wrong.
- Strong Debug skills
- Strong communication skills
- Strong documentation skills
- Experience with antenna design/ trade-offs for deployed
- Experience characterizing RF performance using an Anechoic
- Salary Grade: 190/200
- Multi-Level: This is a multi-level posting and the selected
candidate will be placed at the appropriate level dependent on
depth and breadth of proven experience and skills
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory
dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in
nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more
than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the
laboratory works with national and international governments,
universities and industry partners to discover new science and
development technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and
renewable energy, national security, and environmental
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative
nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our
nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31,
1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS).
For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity
(EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment
opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic
information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided
reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or
interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to
receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact
us to request accommodation.
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all
questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide
a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation:
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust
relocation package, and phenomenal benefits. For more information,
please visit: .
FallsJob:EngineeringOrganization:National & Homeland Security
(Dxxx)Schedule:Full-timeEmployee Status:RegularJob Posting:Mar 16,
2021, 6:51:57 PMUnposting Date:Jun 29, 2021, 5:59:00 AM
Keywords: Battelle Energy Alliance, Idaho Falls , Wireless Engineer (Junior), IT / Software / Systems , Idaho Falls, Idaho
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!