HPC System Administrator
Company: Battelle Energy Alliance
Location: Idaho Falls
Posted on: February 2, 2019
Job Title: HPC System Administrator
Org: High Performance Computing & Data Analytics
Work Location: Idaho Falls, ID (9x80 Schedule)
Leading Nuclear Energy and Research Technology
MISSION: Discover, demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical infrastructure.
VISION: INL will change the world's energy future and secure our critical infrastructure.
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is seeking a skilled professional to join its High Performance Computing (HPC) & Data Analytics department as a HPC System Administrator.
The HPC System Administrator will be responsible for designing, defining, installing, configuring, debugging, troubleshooting, optimizing, and maintaining HPC supercomputers and supporting infrastructure as well as be responsible for hardware, software, networking, storage, and applications.
Specific duties in this role include:
* Define system architecture and application configurations for HPC systems
* Research, install, configure, and maintain computer system software
* Research, install, configure, and maintain 3rd party high performance computing applications
* Research and diagnose system operational problems quickly and effectively
* Coordinate with vendors to resolve hardware and software problems
* Port computer code and write system management software tools
* Provide reliable and efficient backups for all managed systems
* Setup and maintain host and network based security of the HPC resources
* Define and document system administration procedures and tasks
* Participate in a 24-hour, 7-day on-call support rotation and off-hours maintenance activities
* Implement and integrate new systems
* Perform system performance analysis and tuning
* Provide user support and training
* Support laboratory wide training and outreach activities with the purpose of increasing HPC adoption at INL
* Support CAES university training and outreach activities wit the purpose of building HPC and computational science skills in Idaho and Wyoming
* Contribute to the enhanced reputation of HPC and computing both at INL and regionally
* Develop expertise in data center design, cooling, power, and operations
* Interface with INL Facilities staff in data center operations including helping to coordinate bi-annual shutdowns
* Proactively stays abreast of high-performance computing developments and maintain skills
* Provides imaginative, thorough and practical solutions to a wide range of complex, ambiguous, and/or difficult high-performance computing problems
* Plays a key role in determining technical approach for solving high-performance computing problems and meeting client needs
If you think you have the knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience requirements to be successful in this position, we encourage to apply!
Candidates for this position must:
* Be a citizen of the United States.
* Have a Bachelors degree in Math, Chemistry, Computational Science, Physics, Engineering, or a related field and 2-5 years related experience, or a Masters degree in Math, Chemistry, Computational Science, Physics, Engineering, or a related field and 1-3 years related experience, or a Doctorate degree in Math, Chemistry, Computational Science, Physics, Engineering, or a related field and 0-2 years experience.
* Have proficiency with the Linux operating system.
Candidates for this position are preferred to:
* Have HPC experience or system administration experience working with clusters of more than 30 computers.
* Have HPC networking experience with InfiniBand or Omni Path Interconnect.
SELECTIVE SERVICE REQUIREMENTS
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31, 1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS). This includes U.S. born and naturalized citizens, parolees, undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, asylum seekers, refugees, and all males with visas of any kind which expired more than 30 days ago. The few individuals who are exempt from this requirement are those on current non-immigrant visas. For more information see www.sss.gov.
EMPLOYEE JOB FUNCTIONS
Employee Job Functions are physical actions and/or working conditions associated with the position. These functions may also constitute essential functions for the job position which the employee must be able to fulfill, with or without accommodation. Information provided below is to help describe the job so that the applicant has a reasonable understanding of the job duties/expectations. An applicant's ability to perform and/or tolerate these actions and conditions will be discussed and workplace accommodations may be made on a case-by-case basis following an individualized assessment of the applicant and other considerations, including but not limited to any governing safety standards.
EQUIPMENT - Typing/Keyboarding
PERSONNEL REQUIREMENTS - Ability to work more than 8 hours per day.
PLEASE APPLY BEFORE:
February 18, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. Posting may close before this date conditional upon volume of candidates.
ENVIRONMENTAL, SAFETY AND HEALTH STATEMENT
Must be familiar with, and comply with all relevant health and safety requirements. Must be knowledgeable of emergency action policies and procedures, methods for reporting/resolving work practices or conditions to available cognizant professionals.
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration.
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more than 4,300 scientists, researchers and support staff, the laboratory works with national and international governments, universities and industry partners to discover new science and develop technologies that underpin the nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security and environmental missions.
THE IDAHO FALLS AREA
Idaho Falls is conveniently situated near many national treasures such as Yellowstone National Park, Teton National Park, Jackson, WY, etc. For more information about the area, please visit www.visitidahofalls.com and www.visitidaho.org.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Keywords: Battelle Energy Alliance, Idaho Falls , HPC System Administrator, IT / Software / Systems , Idaho Falls, Idaho
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!