Group Lead- Condensed Matter & Materials Physics
Company: Battelle Energy Alliance
Location: Idaho Falls
Posted on: November 12, 2021
Description Does a career focused on changing the world's energy
future intrigue you? If so, we might have just the opportunity
you're looking for! Idaho National Laboratory's (INL) Condensed
Matter & Materials Physics group is seeking forward-thinking
professionals interested in exploring a technical career as a Group
Lead! The Group Lead will provide technical, strategic, and human
capital leadership at the "Group" level for the Condensed Matter
and Materials Physics group, B615, within the Department of
Materials Science and Engineering (MS&E) of the Energy and
Environment Science and Technology (EES&T) directorate at INL.
This group coordinates and leads the research, development, and
deployment (RD&D) associated with developing a comprehensive,
atomic-to-bulk understanding of material behavior in extreme
environments. Group leadership duties are expected to constitute
20-30% of effort, while the remainder of effort is expected to be
dedicated to technical work. Responsibilities Include:
- Lead as well as support programs, including internal and
external proposal efforts to secure funding for
scientific/engineering work and other business development
- Build, lead and support effective teams to implement scientific
and engineering work.
- Participate in program development activities, both in lead and
- Lead materials testing programs, including resolving test
matrices, troubleshooting issues, and analyzing data.
- Develop new characterization and materials
development/manufacturing facilities and capabilities.
- Serve as a major or sole contributor to the generation of
- Conduct and document work at an appropriate quality level,
including collection and interpretation of laboratory data,
planning of research tasks, as well as assessing and applying a
wide range of research techniques to those tasks.
- Enhance the technical and professional skills of junior staff
through active mentoring and training.
- Represent the MS&E Department and INL with sponsors and
peers through programmatic and technical presentations.
- Identify and build synergetic intra- and inter-directorate
(within-INL) as well as external collaborations especially with the
goal of developing and initiation new materials-based projects and
- Identify and coordinate synergetic collaborations between
modeling and experimental activities essential to peers and
partners to INL.
- Direct and contribute to the completion of achievements on
multiple projects and programmatic objectives. Manager
- Acting for the Department Manager, including attending and
conducting meetings, providing department information, approving
timesheets, etc., in the absence of the Department Manager.
- Providing the Department Manager with input on quarterly staff
performance reviews including appropriate critical feedback,
personal goal setting, and career development.
- Assisting the Department Manager in creating, updating, and
performing a strategic plan for the group and the department at
- Assisting the Department Manager by supervising talent
development, including recruiting key new staff and retaining
existing staff, and identifying professional growth opportunities
for group members.
- Ensuring work within the group is carried out safely and
efficiently, within budget parameters and appropriate scope.
- Developing and maintaining the group's existing technical
capability base; identifies and builds new group capabilities
associated with the mission area; acquires and carries out
- Providing technical leadership for the group and assist in
coordinating and aligning group activities with departmental and
- Demonstrating technical leadership within the group's area of
- Providing input to weekly department updates for assigned group
projects including development of presentation material to be used
to highlight group capabilities to potential internal and external
customers. Minimum Requirements:
- PhD in Condensed Matter Physics, Applied Physics, or related
field and at least 10 years of related post-PhD experience.
- Requisite experience in condense matter and/or materials
physics, including advanced structure/property characterization of
materials, development of new materials, neutron irradiation
effects, and advanced instrumentation development for materials
- Established reputation and relationships with other national
and international researchers in Condensed Matter Physics related
- A track record for identifying synergetic collaborations
between experimental and modeling activities within, and external,
to organizations where researcher has previously (or currently)
- Proven track record or meeting the technical goals of partner
internal and external to organizations where the researcher has
previously or currently worked.
- Demonstrated experience building and leading effective teams
and enhancing the technical and professional skills of junior and
experienced staff through active mentoring and training.
- Established track record for serving as the lead in technical
decision-making and direction at the medium to large-scale project
- Strong background and an established record of high-quality
research in structural materials.
- Proven record of conceiving and developing multi-disciplinary
research projects on structure/property relationships of materials,
including demonstrated success in winning competitively awarded
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal, oral, and written
- Record of commitment to safe, secure, and environmentally sound
- A strong record of achievement through reports, publications,
intellectual property, or technical products.
- Familiarity with National Laboratory programs. Preferred
- Able to integrate modeling and simulations into all aspects of
the aforementioned areas. Job Information
- Salary Grade: ......
- Chosen applicants are required to show a "demonstrated
commitment to valuing diversity and contributing to an inclusive
working environment." INL Overview: INL is a science-based, applied
engineering national laboratory dedicated to supporting the U.S.
Department of Energy's mission in nuclear energy research, science,
and national defense. With more than 5,000 scientists, researchers,
and support staff, the laboratory works with national and
international governments, universities and industry partners to
discover new science and development technologies that underpin the
nation's nuclear and renewable energy, national security, and
environmental missions. INL Mission: Our mission is to discover,
demonstrate and secure innovative nuclear energy solutions, other
clean energy options and critical infrastructure. INL Vision: Our
vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our
nation's critical infrastructure. Selective Service Requirements:
To be eligible for employment at INL men born after December 31,
1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS).
For more information see www.sss.gov. Equal Employment Opportunity:
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity
(EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment
opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic
information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to
apply. COVID Safety Protocols: As a condition of employment, Idaho
National Laboratory will inquire about COVID vaccination status and
expects candidate compliance with all required COVID safety
protocols, including mask-wearing as applicable. Idaho National
Laboratory has implemented a required vaccination policy effective
immediately requiring all new hires must be vaccinated against
COVID - 19 as a condition of employment, unless exempt under Title
VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act,
or other applicable state or federal law. In accordance with Idaho
National Laboratory's duty to provide and maintain a workplace that
is free of known hazards, we are adopting this policy to safeguard
the health of our employees and their families, our customers and
visitors, and the community at large from infectious diseases that
may be reduced by vaccinations. Reasonable Accommodation: We will
ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable
accommodation to participate in the job application or interview
process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other
benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request
accommodation. Other Information: When applying to positions please
provide your resume and answer all questions on the following
screens. Applicants, who fail to provide a resume or answer the
questions, may be deemed ineligible for consideration. Benefits &
Salary: We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust
relocation package, and a phenomenal benefits package. For more
information, please visit:
https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview/. . Qualifications .
Primary Location: US-ID-Idaho FallsJob: Administrative
Support(Non-Ex)Organization: Energy & Environment Science &
Technology (Bxxx)Schedule: Full-timeEmployee Status: RegularJob
Posting: Nov 2, 2021, 6:35:49 PMUnposting Date: Nov 10, 2021,
Keywords: Battelle Energy Alliance, Idaho Falls , Group Lead- Condensed Matter & Materials Physics, Other , Idaho Falls, Idaho
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!