Nuclear Research Facility Technician
Company: Battelle Energy Alliance
Location: Idaho Falls
Posted on: November 22, 2020
ORGANIZATION: Materials and Fuels Complex (MFC)
WORK LOCATION: Idaho Falls, ID (MFC Site 4x10s schedule)
Idaho National Lab (INL) will change the world s energy future and
secure our critical infrastructure! Join us innovate the
The Materials and Fuels Complex (MFC) at INL empowers the next
generation of nuclear energy advances through hosting a unique
combination of personnel, facilities and infrastructure. MFC offers
the ability to perform research and development of nuclear fuels
and material from fuels design, development, and fabrication
through to post-irradiation analysis.
The Materials and Fuels Complex (MFC) at INL has multiple openings
for nuclear research facility technicians to work in the Analytical
Laboratory (AL), Irradiated Materials Characterization Laboratory
(IMCL) and the Hot Fuels Examination Facility (HFEF). Nuclear
Research Facility Technicians perform a variety of work activities
including tracking, packaging, transferring, receiving, and storing
fissionable materials, handling, and treating radioactive and
* Skillfully operates and performs some maintenance on facility
equipment and systems. Facility equipment and systems may include
overhead handling systems, remote handling and manipulating
equipment, shielded casks, facility utilities, operational support
systems, gloveboxes and testing equipment. Requires watching
gauges, dials, or other indictors to make sure equipment is working
* Fully demonstrates and integrates Human Performance Improvement
(HPI) knowledge in all work processes. Contributes to an
environment where use of HPI tools are the normal standard
practice, expected and appreciated.
* Skilled and proficient in knowledge of job, capable of training
others, and performs OJT and briefing functions.
* Maintains accurate records of facility operation, equipment
performance, production, treatment and experimental data in
logbooks, log-sheets, or other data packages as required by
facility programs and administrative procedures.
* As requested, reviews and provides operational input to proposed
procedures, procedural revisions, and proposed modifications to
* Adapts and applies standard procedures for assigned tasks and
known processes, such as experiments requiring minor modification
and setting up and operating test equipment.
* Performs data analysis and maintains proper documentation,
understand and perform material transfer limits, material at risk
evaluations, criticality requirements, supports maintenance and
engineering to perform equipment performance trending.
* Explores alternate courses of action or methods to accomplish
tasks and provide recommendations to foreman or SS.
* Interacts with personnel from other disciplines to achieve
* Nuclear Navy qualification and experience, nuclear NEC, Machinist
s Mate (MM), Electrician s Mate (EM), or Electronics Technician
(ET) with HS Diploma or equivalent.
* Candidates must also have a firm understanding of conduct of
operations and a practical knowledge of basic engineering theory in
the areas of electrical power distribution, instrumentation and
control, nuclear physics, heat transfer, and thermodynamics.
* Must be a U.S. Citizen and have the ability and willingness to
obtain and maintain a DOE L or Q clearance.
* Some positions may require inclusion in the Human Reliability
Performance (HRP) of which will require additional scrutiny by the
HRP Program administrators.
* Demonstrated hands-on physical dexterity controlling operations
of equipment or systems.
* Some positions may require performing work activities standing at
a hot cell window for 80% of day operating manipulators.
* Some positions may require working sliding 4x12 shifts, including
nights and weekends.
* Must be willing to learn and comply with DOE conduct of
operations requirements and Integrated Safety Management System
* Must be willing and have the ability to complete Rad Worker II
qualifications. Donning and doffing of anti-contamination clothing
and wearing a full face respirator or self-contained breathing
* Must have a proven track record of integrity, demonstrated strong
work ethic, customer service mentality, and technical skills for
* Attributes required for the position:
* Active Listening Giving full attention to what other people are
saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking
questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate
* Critical thinking Using logic and reasoning to identify the
strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or
approaches to problems.
* Reading Comprehension Understanding written sentences and
paragraphs in work related documents.
* Judgement and Decision Making Considering the relative risks,
costs, and benefits of potential actions to choose the most
INL is a science-based, applied engineering national laboratory
dedicated to supporting the U.S. Department of Energy s mission in
nuclear energy research, science, and national defense. With more
than 5,000 scientists, researchers, and support staff, the
laboratory works with national and international governments,
universities and industry partners to discover new science and
development technologies that underpin the nation s nuclear and
renewable energy, national security, and environmental
Our mission is to discover, demonstrate and secure innovative
nuclear energy solutions, other clean energy options and critical
Our vision is to change the world s energy future and secure our
nation s critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31,
1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS).
For more information see www.sss.gov.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity
(EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment
opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic
information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all
questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide
a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust
relocation package, and phenomenal benefits. For more information,
please visit: https://www.inl.gov/careers/benefits-overview/. .
Keywords: Battelle Energy Alliance, Idaho Falls , Nuclear Research Facility Technician, Professions , Idaho Falls, Idaho
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!