Company: Battelle Energy Alliance
Location: Idaho Falls
Posted on: February 19, 2021
ORGANIZATION: Nuclear Science & Technology (NS&T)
WORK LOCATION:Idaho Falls, ID (In town - 9x80 schedule)
Idaho National Lab (INL) will change the world's energy future and
secure our critical infrastructure! Join us - innovate the
The Irradiation Experiment Thermal Hydraulics Analysis (IETHA)
Department within the Reactor Systems Design and Analysis Division
(RSD&A) at INL performs complex, innovative and unique
thermal-fluids-structural analyses and safety calculations enabling
research, design and development (RD&D) of experiments either
irradiated in nuclear research reactors or conducted in nuclear
facilities. The department staff works closely with staff from
within the Nuclear Science and Technology (NS&T) Directorate as
well as staff across the Laboratory; specifically staff from the
Advanced Test Reactor (ATR), Transient Reactor Test (TREAT)
Facility and Hot Fuel Examination Facility (HFEF). Additionally,
working on multiple engineering design project teams, applying
complex modeling and simulation methods, using finite element (FE),
computational fluid dynamics (CFD) and multi-physics codes, data
analysis and visualization, verification and validation, serving on
engineering design review boards, writing formal engineering
calculation reports, presenting and defending methods, assumptions,
calculations, analysis results, conclusions and
We are seeking a talented Thermal/CFD Analyst to join our team to
select and broadly apply principles, theories, and concepts in
engineering. This role will work on unusually complex problems and
utilize specialized techniques to develop solutions.
- Develops and contributes to technical projects involving
multidisciplinary performers and activities.
- Defines technical approach and sets technical direction.
- Seeks, develops and implements innovation as appropriate to
meet sponsor needs.
- Develops and implements R&D plans at the project and
- Contributes to Laboratory and program strategy.
- May act as Principal Investigator, conducting research with
emphasis on irradiation testing.
- May provide internal and external leadership for nuclear
programs, including direction of high-performance,
multi-disciplinary research teams, principal investigators,
engineers, and technicians.
- Identifies new research opportunities, leads technical teams to
respond to those opportunities, generates proposals, and secures
funding for the conduct of the research.
- Establishes research plans and experimental designs for
- Leads and mentors junior level staff.
- Performs peer reviews and serves as a technical resource and
liaison for both internal and external collaborations.
- Serves as primary contributor to the generation of reports,
publications, proposals, and intellectual property.
- Represents the organization to sponsors and peers through
programmatic and technical presentations.
- Assists with organization business planning and marketing
- Degree in mechanical engineering or closely related field is
- Bachelor's Degree and a minimum of 8 years of experience
- Master's Degree and a minimum of 6 years of experience
- Ph.D. and a minimum of 4 years of experience
- Expert in the field of thermal/mechanical/fluids science with
demonstrated experience in modeling, simulation and analysis.
- Capable of solving complex problems to enable the design,
fabrication, irradiation, shipment, and post irradiation
examination of irradiation experiments conducted in nuclear
facilities such as the Advanced Test Reactor (ATR), the Transient
Reactor Test Facility (TREAT) or the Hot Fuel Examination Facility
- Application and use of uncertainty quantification
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must be able to work in a culturally diverse environment.
Preferred Experience and Skills
- Advanced Mechanical/Nuclear Engineering Degree
- Nuclear safety analysis
- Advanced user of RELAP5
- Advanced user of FEA and/or CFD codes and techniques
- Contributing member on multidisciplinary engineering design
- Proficient using High-Performance Computer (HPC) systems
- Benchmarking and validation activities; computer codes and
- Maintenance and use of nuclear safety software that meets
software quality assurance (SQA) standards for ASME NQA-1
- Proficient using programming languages (FORTRAN, C++, Java,
Python, etc...) INL Vision
Our vision is to change the world's energy future and secure our
nation's critical infrastructure.
Selective Service Requirements
To be eligible for employment at INL males born after December 31,
1959 must have registered with the Selective Service System (SSS).
For more information see .
Equal Employment Opportunity
Idaho National Laboratory (INL) is an Equal Employment Opportunity
(EEO) employer. It is the policy of INL to provide equal employment
opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national
origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic
information. Women and People of Color are strongly encouraged to
When applying to positions please provide a resume and answer all
questions on the following screens. Applicants, who fail to provide
a resume or answer the questions, may be deemed ineligible for
Benefits, Salary, and Relocation
We have an extremely competitive salary structure, robust
relocation package, and phenomenal benefits. For more information,
please visit: .
Primary Location : US-ID-Idaho Falls
Job : Engineering
Organization : Nuclear Science & Technology (Cxxx)
Schedule : Full-time
Employee Status : Regular
Job Posting : Dec 11, 2020, 1:29:57 AM
Unposting Date : Ongoing
Keywords: Battelle Energy Alliance, Idaho Falls , Thermal/CFD Analyst, Professions , Idaho Falls, Idaho
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!